{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Monday, January 6, 2014

close to the heart ...

Sparrow Studio needed a good clean up.
It goes through an identity crisis every year through the months of November & December 
as Santa & Mrs. Claus need it for gift hiding space.
My large art table serves as the perfect gift wrapping station, and after a month of bringing out decorative stamps and scissors and all sorts of tapes, it was time to put each and every item back in it's own spot!
Of course, once I started, I got a bit side tracked which always happens when I get to pulling out pieces from  the very back of my storage cupboard.
Looking through really OLD pieces of art work & all the memories that are attached.
Some almost 30 years OLD.
I started to remember "my style" back then...
before my automobile accident which caused me to put away the pencils, paints and brushes.
So happy & grateful to be painting again xoxo
I found the tiniest pencil sketches of bunnies ...
and little water coloured owls...
lots of sketches of my daughter {I would sketch her as she played} ...
tiny doggies appeared in stories I wrote for my children when they were little...
and told them about my sweet little bunny Cinders who had a black smudge across his nose that looked like Cinder dust ...
Since my children had hamsters all through their childhood,
it was only fitting that I would turn all their quirky escapades into stories ...
like toast & raspberry jam loving hamsters :-)
this one was called
"Under the Sunflower trees"
when you are as tiny as a hamster,
sunflowers really do look like trees :-)
sketches of cuddles with my son  ...
when my daughter left for University, as well as daily phone calls, we would write letters to each other.  Every letter included a little something ... a 'just because' ♥
and always a quote I thought she would love.
time to get back to cleaning & organizing...
***
Our treasure
lies in the beehives
of our knowledge.
We are perpetually on our way thither,
being by nature winged insects
and honey gatherers of the mind.
The only thing that lies close to our heart
is the desire
to bring something home
to the hive.
~Friedrich Nietzsche~

10 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

What a sweet walk down memory lane! I love all of your paintings and sketches and the wee little hamster and bunny pictures remind me of my childhood love of all things small. It makes me sad that you can no longer do this...not sure what happened but it's a shame.

I have to get working on taking Christmas down myself...not looking forward to it at all!

XO,
Jane

Country Gal said...

Wonderful art . You have a talent and a gift here ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good week !

Jeanne said...

Beautiful my lovely friend I love all of your quotes and photographs shared. Much love and many blessings

Love Jeanne

Julie Marie said...

Oh Deb, all of your sketches and paintings you did long ago are just beautiful!... I love that you wrote little stories for your children... with special critters in them... I know your children learned to love Nature as much as you and I do... and I also love that you included little special "just because" treasures to your daughter away at college... I am happy you are painting, crafting and creating again, as your creations are so pretty... and so heartfelt... enjoy your quiet time getting your studio in order... I will be doing the same thing starting tomorrow... xoxo Julie Marie PS Tessy's toys however stay out year round!...

Lynda said...

Your drawings are beautiful, Deb! I'm in awe. Seriously! I love that you drew and wrote stories for your children. That must have been so special to them. xoxo

Deb said...

hi Jane - it really was a walk down memory lane finding them :-)we had so much fun with all our little hamsters, who each had their own sweet personalities ♥

Deb said...

thank you so much Country Gal for your kind, supportive words ♥

Deb said...

thank you Jeanne ♥

Deb said...

thank you Julie Marie ~ my children and grandchildren are nature lovers just like us ♥

Deb said...

thank you so much Lynda ♥