{Posted from} Home

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest ~ Sir Thomas Moore ~


hOMe is where the heART is …


Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thankful {things I love} Thursday...

Finishing up some little things ...
 I wasn't sure what I wanted to bake yesterday afternoon, but one look in the pantry I noticed a little bit of coconut & a little bit of chopped pecans in a container, so I decided to make cupcakes with cream cheese icing and dipped half in coconut & the other half in chopped nuts.
 I also noticed a little bit of chocolate chips - just the right amount for ooey gooey chocolate chippers
 and a little bit of currants - and currant scones was what I really felt like :-)
so I made a few of those too! I've added the recipe in case you feel like making them ♥
 which made for the perfect little pick me up after all the baking (and washing up) was done.
With a sliced pear on the side and a cup of tea ~ delicious.
And now that I've finished the scarf I began last week, I have a little bit of wool left over...
just enough for a pair of gloves :-)
***
Little
by
Little
does
the
trick
~Aesop~
***
Currant Scones/Buns
3 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter cut into cubes
1 cup cold milk
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tsp turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Stir in milk to incorporate.  Add 1 1/2 cups of currants (I soak them a little in a small amount of orange juice).  Knead in the bowl a few times to incorporate the dough into a ball.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a circle approximately 1 inch thick.
You can either cut the dough into 8 wedges, or cut out with a circular cutter.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with cream and top with turbinado sugar.
Bake until golden about 25 minutes.
Enjoy ♥

7 comments:

Mereknits said...

Oh everything looks so yummy. I think I could adapt that scone recipe with agave nectar. My son and I are hypoglycemic so we can not even eat a pinch of sugar. i think I am going to give it a try. It reminds me of a recipe my Grandmother used to make with raisins instead of currents. Thanks for posting it.
Meredith

Julie Marie said...

Everything you bake always looks sooo yummy!... and how fun you finished your scarf!... xoxo Julie Marie

Lori ann said...

oh such delicious baking going on at your home! and your knitting is lovely too deb. :)
xxx lori

Monica said...

Gosh, these look delicious! My English friend of more than 20 years taught me how to make currant scones :) and I bake a batch every now and then!
:)
xo

Natalie said...

I love this post! How lovely to take stock of the little things, to enjoy them, to use them up, to make them into bigger things! Such a wonderful metaphor, yes? Best, and Take joy! ~Natalie at Tasha Tudor and Family, Inc.

Kelly said...

Look at your gorgeous scarf...! I am impressed (as usual ;) I truly wish I could pop over and make scones with you... on a rainy afternoon!

Jorgelina said...

These look delicious!
Hugs